BP Imaging have been around since 1956 and in that time we feel we have become pretty good at what we do. Our photographers are extremely skilled at what they do and have perfected their craft through years of experience.
We are often asked by budding photographers for tips and tricks when they are starting out. Whether you are taking pictures as a hobby or are looking to take up photography as a profession we have some tips for you as you set out.
1. Start with an inexpensive camera, even a smartphone camera will take great pictures. As a beginner you will need to get to know the technique of taking a great picture before upgrading your equipment over time.
2. Always have your camera ready, you never know what opportunities may arise to take the perfect shot. Often the most mundane looking situations can provide inspiration.
3. Keep the camera still. This is hugely important in photography. The last thing you need is to have the opportunity to capture the perfect shot and it turns out blurry. You don’t want to miss that chance. A tripod may even be a good, inexpensive, investment if you find your hands are too shaky.
4. Shoot often and don’t overlook anything. There is always something new to see even in the most mundane of places. Every time you take a picture you can learn something new. The best images are often taken from mundane subjects. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
5. Try using the different settings on your camera. Take multiple shots while adjusting the settings to learn what you like. Look online or in the camera manual for what all the different settings do.
6. Change your perspective. Take photos at different angles and elevations. Move closer to your subject and take photos from distance. You will learn a lot about your personal style from these different perspectives.
8. Enjoy yourself. Don’t see photography as a chore. Experiment with different subjects and settings. With a digital camera there is no cost in taking a bad shot. Learn from them to become a better photographer.