Hearty Chorizo and Greens Soup
There’s nothing better than a hot bowl of belly warming soup on a cold wintry day. This quick and easy soup is thickened with cornmeal and eggs giving it a sweet velvety texture and loaded with healthy greens and fibre.
Makes 6-8 servings
1/2 cup medium grind cornmeal
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup each diced carrot, celery and onion
2 cloves minced garlic
10 cups chicken broth
300 grams smoked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped kale
2 cups chopped collard greens
1 cup canned mixed beans
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Toast cornmeal in a non stick skillet until light brown and fragrant, set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat; sauté carrot, celery, onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in cornmeal and broth and simmer until cornmeal is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Add chorizo, kale, collards and beans. Cook until greens are wilted and tender.
5. Right before serving, whisk eggs in a bowl, add 2 ladles of hot broth slowly to eggs while whisking to temper them before stirring egg mixture into hot soup.
6. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan and pepper.